Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Review - Unfurl

Unfurl by Cidney Swanson

Read: January 18th 2014

Find it on Goodreads

Rating: 1/5 stars








Against all expectations, Samantha Ruiz has survived attacks by two of Helmann’s deadliest assassins. She’s alive, but she’s far from safe. Helmann is planning a second Holocaust and wants Sam to play a starring role. Will, meanwhile, separated from Sam by an ocean, seeks a way to prevent Helmann’s apocalypse. Along with Sir Walter and Mickie, Will plays a deadly game sneaking into Geneses’ facilities, discovering unsettling clues as to Helmann’s plans. The clock ticks down as Will and Sam discover just how much they must be willing to sacrifice to stop Helmann. UNFURL, the powerful conclusion to The Ripple Series, will leave fans breathless.



My Review:


*Contains minor spoilers for previous books*

 

Why did I read this? I spent .99 cents on the whole series and I wanted to see if it would redeem itself after the first two books. It didn't. It was worse.

Not only was the dialogue still filled with long drawn out explanations, I had to sit through Will and Sam talking, thinking and crying about each other. They whined about missing each other at least twice every chapter. At least in the other books Sam thought for herself a little bit more. But in my opinion Will talked and thought like a girl much too often throughout the entire book. Him and Sam talked in a much too similar manner I hadn't noticed in the previous books that were only in Sam's POV.

Both of the characters also used the term "rippled/rippling" much to often. I wouldn't have minded it as much if the way it was said varied a little bit from time to time, but it didn't. It was always "he rippled solid", "I rippled solid", "he rippled invisible." I think the word rippled must have been used at least 50 times which gets annoying really fast, I had hoped that the author would tone it down a little but if anything it was worse in this book than the others.

Even the story's plot was a bit jumbled, though it was much better constructed than the rest of the story. At times there were too many bad guys to keep track of and the fact that none of them had the same ultimate goal made it a bit hard to keep track of which one wanted what.

I can't even begin to express how happy I am that that was the last of these books. I'm never reading any of this authors books again.




No comments:

Post a Comment